Sunday 30 October 2011

Meaty Guinness Risotto

I really like Guinness. I also really like risottos. I obviously had try a Guinness risotto. There are loads of recipes out there, but I thought I ought to use my head and create something of my own... and it worked surprisingly well!
Guinness is Irish. The Irish eat lamb. Ireland is associated with greenery. Peas are green. Therefore:
  • 150 g risotto rice
  • Half a can of Guinness
  • 1 lamb leg steak
  • 600ml chicken or beef stock
  • 1 onion
  • A pinch of thyme
  • Butter
  • A cup of thawed peas
  • Cheese
I first wrapped the lamb in a piece of foil with a couple of tablespoons of Guinness and baked it until it was just cooked. Then proceeded as for a normal risotto. Fried the onion in some butter. Added thyme and rice, stirred, and then added the liquid (first the Guinness then the stock) a little at a time, simmering slowly and stirring occasionally. Added the peas and chopped up lamb steak midway. When all was done I seasoned with salt and pepper and stirred in a good few tablespoons of butter. I also stirred in some grated parmggiano, but next time I think I'll use cheddar instead.

I stopped to taste really often because it's very difficult to get the seasoning right. The Guinness seems to suck all the flavour out of the rice and replaces it with a metallic taste. At the same time you can't salt it too much because the lamb and Guinnes have very strong flavours. This is why I think that the butter (and I’m sure the cheddar would too) works to bring it together. I think it would taste very good with chicken instead of lamb too.  It's very hearty and strong - a comfort dinner for the big and strong! ...not that I'm either :-P