Friday 14 October 2011

Turkey with Almonds and Mushrooms Au Gratin

Today's dinner was picked out from The Silver Spoon. My boyfriend worked on the turkey which looked and tasted lovely. The recipe is pretty simple. The turkey steaks are sauteed in a covered pan with onions and white wine, while the almonds are simmered in milk and brandy and then blended into a paste. Quite an unusual looking dish in my opinion but we loved the crunchy almonds on the turkey.

 
I made the mushrooms, which looked so posh in ramekins. (Everything looks posh in ramekins doesn't it? But especially something au gratin.) The recipe was simple enough. Some mushrooms are sauteed in a pan with a little bit of diced ham and onion. Then topped with white sauce + egg yolk, breadcrumbs, and a spot of butter. Baked in the oven for 20 minutes - et voila!


The only modification I would have made to this recipe is to chop the mushrooms, rather than leaving them whole or in thick slices. The steaming hot mushrooms scalded my mouth a bit when I bit into them. Otherwise, it was absolutely delicious!